e-Book readers

As part of the process of getting rid of everything I own I realised I was still going to want books. The eBook readers on offer here were less than desirable and I'm a bit of a fanboi when it comes to Open Source systems so I hit TradeMe to see what was available that was running Android.

I found, and won the bid on, this. The device doesn't even get close to the level of performance that is described in the items description. I wasn't expecting iPad level responsiveness but what I got was ridiculous compared to what was described in the listing.

Due to this I posted neutral feedback while still praising the really good turn around from the seller. Delivery in less than 24 hours. Not shabby at all. :)

Anyway, "empress-int" e-mailed me about the feedback and we spent a number of hours discussing this and it appeared to reach a conclusion. Half an hour later I get an e-mail from TradeMe claiming "empress-int" had expressed concern over my feedback. I responded to this but the message bounced due to it's length. So I've included the discussion here so I can provide a link to TradeMe should they chose to read it.

For everyone else, I offer this for your amusement.

+++
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gold <gold [at] evolved [dot] net [dot] nz>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:38
Subject: Re: Trade Me Auction: 301590217 -- *NEW* 7" Android Touchpad
Netbook Wi-Fi DDR2 *NEW*
To: "rob@empress-international" <empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com>

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:53, rob@empress-international
<empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com> wrote:
>
- Hide quoted text -
> Hi there,
>
> We have noticed you left us a neutral feedback on our profile....can we
> ask if you are actually happy with the product?...if you are fine with it,
> would you consider changing the feedback to positive for us,as you can
> understand our buisness depends on it...im sure we have been great to
> deal with,our customer service and communication is always
> satisfactory so we hope this maybe considered for you to at least
> change to a positive for us.

Hi,

I was about to edit my feedback to a positive value (with the same
message). However, I spotted the neutral feedback that you provided
on me and decided against it. The idea that you would give someone a
neutral feedback when they complete payment within minutes of an
auction closing is just bizarre and feels a little like blackmail.
i.e. you'll remove the neutral feedback against me once I remove the
neutral feedback against you.

You claim in your response "some very picky customers that find the
most insignificant things to complain about and seem to expect the
quality of a farrari for the price of a morris minor" but given that
you were the one that made the claim that it "is as responsive as a
farrari F1 when touched" I think it only fair that I should expect
something a little closer to what you claimed.

You say that "as you can understand our buisness depends on it" and I
can completely grok that. However, in order to avoid this sort of
thing in the future I suggest that you update your generic listings to
make them a little more accurate. Honesty in advertising is another
thing your business depends on.
+++

+++
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gold <gold [at] evolved [dot] net [dot] nz>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 11:38
Subject: Re: Trade Me Auction: 301590217 -- *NEW* 7" Android Touchpad
Netbook Wi-Fi DDR2 *NEW*
To: "rob@empress-international" <empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com>

On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 10:53, rob@empress-international
<empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com> wrote:
>
- Hide quoted text -
> Hi there,
>
> We have noticed you left us a neutral feedback on our profile....can we
> ask if you are actually happy with the product?...if you are fine with it,
> would you consider changing the feedback to positive for us,as you can
> understand our buisness depends on it...im sure we have been great to
> deal with,our customer service and communication is always
> satisfactory so we hope this maybe considered for you to at least
> change to a positive for us.

Hi,

I was about to edit my feedback to a positive value (with the same
message). However, I spotted the neutral feedback that you provided
on me and decided against it. The idea that you would give someone a
neutral feedback when they complete payment within minutes of an
auction closing is just bizarre and feels a little like blackmail.
i.e. you'll remove the neutral feedback against me once I remove the
neutral feedback against you.

You claim in your response "some very picky customers that find the
most insignificant things to complain about and seem to expect the
quality of a farrari for the price of a morris minor" but given that
you were the one that made the claim that it "is as responsive as a
farrari F1 when touched" I think it only fair that I should expect
something a little closer to what you claimed.

You say that "as you can understand our buisness depends on it" and I
can completely grok that. However, in order to avoid this sort of
thing in the future I suggest that you update your generic listings to
make them a little more accurate. Honesty in advertising is another
thing your business depends on.
+++

+++
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: rob@empress-international <empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:01
Subject: Re: Trade Me Auction: 301590217 -- *NEW* 7" Android Touchpad
Netbook Wi-Fi DDR2 *NEW*
To: Gold <gold [at] evolved [dot] net [dot] nz>

Hi,

we certainly apologise if you feel we are blackmailing you,but please
be assured it certainly wasnt our intension to make you feel this
way,the comment to your feedback is merely to protect ourselves when
others read the feedback....adverts/commercials are all exaggerated
you only need to look on tv at all the well known international
companies,this is called propaganda and is used by every buisness,but
we feel we are not exaggerating at all,of course all companies want to
make there descriptions sound great as we do,but im sure we are not
"over the top?" surely.
Can we make an agreement to change the feedback together to a positive
on both sides,if this isnt possible and you feel we are a nasty
company,then thats fine,we wont bother you again,you are entitled to
your decision for sure.

Cheers Gold.

Best regards,
Empress International LTD
www.empress-international.com
+++

+++
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gold <gold [at] evolved [dot] net [dot] nz>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:56
Subject: Re: Trade Me Auction: 301590217 -- *NEW* 7" Android Touchpad
Netbook Wi-Fi DDR2 *NEW*
To: "rob@empress-international" <empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com>

- Hide quoted text -
On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 12:01, rob@empress-international
<empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com> wrote:
>
> we certainly apologise if you feel we are blackmailing you,but
> please be assured it certainly wasnt our intension to make you
> feel this way,the comment to your feedback is merely to
> protect ourselves when others read the feedback....

That is what the right of reply is for on the feedback I left on you.
Retroactively extending that to the feedback of a buyer who paid
within minutes is unacceptable and underhanded.

> adverts/commercials are all exaggerated you only need to look
> on tv at all the well known international companies,this is
> called propaganda and is used by every buisness,but we feel

"Everyone else does it too" isn't really a good defense and an excuse
that most people leave on the playground when they leave school.

I tend to avoid advertising for that reason though. I don't watch TV
or listen to commercial radio. I run AdBlock on all my browsers so I
barely see any ads on the net either.

> we are not exaggerating at all,of course all companies want
> to make there descriptions sound great as we do,but im sure
> we are not "over the top?" surely.

In this country we have this thing called the commerce commission
which enforces a certain level of honesty in commercial activities,
including advertising. I've already checked with a lawyer friend and
she's informed me that if I was to pursue that path you would be
refunding me promptly. However, due to the low price, it's just not
worth the effort to be honest.

As for you thinking you're not exaggerating at all all I can say is
that I recommend you try and use the device. Either that or watch
some formula one racing. The comparison between the device and a
"farrari F1" most definitely is over the top.

I admit that I wasn't expecting iPad style performance but I was
expecting much more than what I got. I'll have the operating system
upgraded by the end of the day also. SlateDroid reviews give some
hope to getting this device responsive.

For your reference, should others ask in the future;
Upgrading Firmware Tutorial
http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?1490-Upgrading-Firmwa...
The forum specific to this device (M001)
http://www.slatedroid.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?5-Eken-M001

> Can we make an agreement to change the feedback together
> to a positive on both sides,if this isnt possible and you feel
> we are a nasty company,then thats fine,we wont bother you
> again,you are entitled to your decision for sure.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to decline. If you hadn't placed the
neutral feedback based on my feedback then we'd already have what
you're asking for. But that's not how you responded.

I don't think you're a "nasty" company and I'd not actually hesitate
to purchase from you again. However, I'd look at your item
descriptions with a much more critical eye before placing a bid in the
future.

Just because other companies exaggerate their advertising is no excuse
for you too do so as well.

Break the mould, honesty in advertising will have people like me
promoting you as opposed to remaining silent or speaking of you
negatively. As it stands I've recommended you to a number of people
already. The delivery time was exceptional. I do add the caveat that
they research the items a little more than just reading the item
description though.
+++

+++
---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: rob@empress-international <empress_international [at] yahoo [dot] com>
Date: Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 13:02
Subject: Re: Trade Me Auction: 301590217 -- *NEW* 7" Android Touchpad
Netbook Wi-Fi DDR2 *NEW*
To: Gold <gold [at] evolved [dot] net [dot] nz>

Hi Gold,

Ok...no problem,lets agree to disagree,thank you for your informative comments.

Best regards,
Empress International LTD
www.empress-international.com
+++