Really thought today was going to be a weather day. At about 9am last night the rain started. It started heavy and stayed that way until about 8am, at which point it started to ease up a little. I'm getting really close to the end now and really don't want to take a day off if I can help it.
By 9am the rain had stopped and I decided to test out just how water proof the pack is. With the amount I've eaten so far everything, including the tent, now fits inside the pack. I figure if the streams are too high I'll return to Starveall and try again tomorrow.
As it happened, the streams weren't too high. Just. I did end up dipping the bottom of the pack and the sleeping mat a couple of times. The areas where the trail crosses the stream were nice and wide so the flow wasn't that strong. If it was much more though, I don't think I'd have risked it.
Near the Hacket Hut end there are about 6-7 crossings in quick succession. Normally the cool water in the shoes provides some relief during a long day and the wet shoes warm up before the next crossing. Not this time though. Due to the height of the river and extra time needed to cross safely the feet were really cold. Add to that insufficient time to warm up before the next crossing and by the end my feet were in quite a bit of pain. :/ Seeing the bridge did actually result in a "WooHoo!" of joy.
Browning hut is only an hour fifteen from here. Having checked the track notes and seen more river crossings I've decided an early start tomorrow would be the better way to go. Give the streams a chance to go down and give my feet a chance to warm up.
Hacket hut is similar to Starveall sans the seats. Good supply of wood too.
Have managed to get everything dry. Well... The shoes are still drying, but everything else is good.
Planning an early night I think.